The original one-story school was constructed in 1952 for 175 students. The school and grounds originally comprised 12 acres, part of which was used by the park district for community recreation. In 1998, the park district and school district traded land in order to provide a site for construction of a new middle school.
The November 2002 referendum provided funding for a new Prospect School. In 2002, the District purchased four parcels at Prospect and Norfolk for the site of the new school. Features of the school, which opened in August 2004, include:
- 55,000 sq. ft.
- Two-story building designed to complement CHMS
- 22 classrooms
- Gym, multipurpose room, Media Resource Center
- Space for small group instruction
Prospect's enrollment has grown steadily. Last year our enrollment was at 420 students.