One of the District's oldest schools, Madison was constructed in 1924. The two-story building and grounds comprise 8.2 acres. The building square footage is 37,535 plus a basement/boiler room of 1,883 square feet.
Changes made to the original building include:
- 1956 – an addition totaling 13,328 sq. ft.
- 1964 – an addition totaling 7,930 sq. ft.
- 1997 – two mobile classrooms were added with a connecting corridor
- 1998 – a new gym addition was constructed, including additional restrooms
- 2006 – Completion of 16,000 sq. ft. addition and renovation of 10,000 sq. ft.
During the 2005-06 school year, Madison was expanded and renovated. Work on the 16,000 square foot addition and 10,000 square feet of renovated space was completed for fall of 2006. From January to June 2006, Madison students were bused to old Prospect School in Clarendon Hills while the renovation phase was underway. The project was made possible by the passage of a $31 million bond in March 2004 to address space needs at four schools in the District.