The current Hinsdale Middle School building opened as Hinsdale Junior High in 1976.
Students have attended school on the site at Third and Garfield since 1866 when William Robbins built the first school in Hinsdale south of the railroad tracks, Robbins' Academy. In 1895, the original building, lost to a fire, was replaced by the new three-story K-12 Garfield School, also called the South Side School.
As enrollment grew, the building also grew, with additions in 1908, a new high school building in 1916, and high school gym in 1921. The district's archives list the first junior high principal in 1925, Myrtle Wheelhouse. In 1935, Maple School, located on Hinsdale's north side was remodeled for use as a junior high. When the high school moved to its current location at 55th and Grant streets in the 1950's the vacated building at 201 S. Washington became a junior high school for Grades 6-8.
By 1969, a study was underway for a new junior high school, followed by a failed 1970 referendum to fund construction. The process began again in 1973 with preliminary plans for a new school and a successful referendum in December. Cone/Dornbush Architects designed the 103,400 square foot building, which was dedicated in March 1976.
Hinsdale Junior High became Hinsdale Middle School in 1992. During the 1990's portable classrooms were added to the to accommodate growing enrollment. At its peak year of 1999-2000, 1,101 students attended HMS.
Click here for information about the March 2016 referendum being proposed for new construction of HMS.