2022-23 School Year Toolkit
District 181 Welcomes Families to the 2022-23 School Year!
District 181 welcomes students and staff back to school on Monday, Aug. 22, 2022. Below is a summary of back-to-school information for the 2022-23 school year.
- The First Day of school is August 22.
- CHMS and HMS Back-to-School Event is August 15th
- Elementary Schools may also hold a Back-to-School Event. Details will be communicated to enrolled students and parents. You can also contact your school with any questions.
Register for School: Families of students who were enrolled with District 181 last year must complete the Current/Returning Student Registration process outlined on the Registration page. Families that are new to the district must complete the New Student Registration Process outlined on the Registration page.
Transportation Services: Please check Skyward Family Access for bus transportation information to and from school. General transportation questions may be directed to your school office or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information can be found on the Transportation Services page.
Set Up Dining Account (Middle School): District 181 is going cashless this year so all students will be required to set up a dining account. See Cafeteria Page.
Free and Reduced Meals: Students may be eligible to receive free/reduced price meals. Please complete the Free/Reduced Meals Application to determine eligibility.
2022-23 School Year Calendar
- August 22: First Day of Student Attendance
- November 21-22: Parent Teacher Conferences
- November 23-25: Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 22 - January 4: Winter Break
- March 27-31: Spring Break
- June 2: Last Day of Student Attendance
Download/View 2022-23 School Year Calendar
Report an Absence
The school calendar is established prior to the start of the current school year. While we realize the value of family time, the planning of vacations while school is in session is strongly discouraged. If students will be absent from school due to vacation, parents must complete a special absence notification form and return it to school before the absence. Assignments and completion dates will be given after the absence as determined by the teacher. Teachers will not be required to re-teach material missed by students. If a planned absence will occur at the end of a grading period, students may be required to submit all work before leaving on the planned absence.
Click here to Report an Absence
Each school holds a Curriculum Night early in the fall, where classroom teachers discuss curriculum and grade level expectations with parents. Parents are encouraged to attend this important event.
2022-23 School Supply Lists
Supply lists are posted on the School Supply Lists page.
Health Examination and Immunization Requirements
Click here to view an overview of all D181 Health/Immunization Registration Requirements. All requirement exams and forms are due on or before the first day of school.
District 181 Student HandbookThe District 181 handbook (Elementary Handbook and Middle School Handbook) provides useful information about District 181’s policies, procedures, resources, and expectations for students. Please take some time to review the handbook with your child(ren) and reference it throughout the year.
District 181 values communication between families and staff. Each school sends a newsletter and regular updates to families. In addition, the District office publishes a monthly newsletter celebrating student/staff accomplishments and informing our community of key initiatives. For Board of Education communications, visit the BOE webpage.
Channels of Communication
Should concerns or questions arise, please address them with the first line of contact as shown below.
- Individual students and classrooms: Contact: Teacher > Principal > Superintendent > Board of Education
- Individual schools and neighborhoods: Contact: Principal > Superintendent > Board of Education
- Curriculum and District instructional practices: Contact: Principal > Assistant Superintendent of Learning > Superintendent > Board of Education
- Identification or support of students who may require special education and related services, additional accommodations and/or other supports, or interventions: Contact: Pupil Services Administrators assigned to your child’s school > Principal > Assistant Superintendent of Learning > Superintendent > Board of Education
- District budget, safety, environmental issues: Contact: Assistant Superintendent of Business Services and Treasurer > Superintendent > Board of Education
- District policy issues: Contact: Superintendent > Board of Education
Learn more about District 181 Student Registration here. Use the links below to access Skyward Family Access and SchoolPay.
- Skyward Family Access
- Current/Returning Student Registration Instructions (2022-23)
- New Student Enrollment for Current Families (2022-2023)
We are pleased and excited to welcome you to the District 181 community. If you are new to the district and have not yet enrolled your child, please do so as soon as possible in order to help us plan for the school year.
One of the most important things that parents will need to bring when enrolling their child for the first time is a certified copy or an original birth certificate for their child or children, and all required documents to prove residency. You can view a list of all the documents required to verify residency at the above links.
Bus routes can be found under Skyward Family Access for the 2022-23 school year starting August 12, 2022. after 2 p.m. General transportation questions may be directed to your school office or email@example.com. More information can be found on the Transportation Services page.
Food Service & Cafeteria
D181 is going cashless for the 2022-2023 school year so all students will be required to set up a dining account. Visit the Cafeteria page and see the flyer below to learn more.
Visit your schools Parent Resources page to access information such as student activities, field trips, report card distribution, sport schedules/info and more.
Elm | Madison | Monroe | Oak | Prospect | The Lane | Walker | HMS | CHMS
Teacher Assignments and Student Schedules
Teacher assignments and student schedules will be emailed to parents from your school office.
Parent Teacher Organizations (PTO)
District 181 is fortunate to have strong partnerships with parents. Each of the District’s nine schools have Parent Teacher Organizations (PTOs). They are dynamic supportive parent organizations that share the goals of enhancing the educational experience for all students and fostering communication between home and school. All parents will receive information about joining the PTO for the coming school year.