2021-22 School Year Toolkit
District 181 will welcome students and staff back to school on Monday, Aug. 23, 2021. Below is a summary of back-to-school information to help families plan. This page will be updated throughout the year and serve as the home of any COVID-19 related updates.
COVID-19 Information & Health and Safety Protocols
While we hope to make progress against COVID-19, we know that this situation continues to be fluid, and modifications to our protocols may be necessary. We will update our guidebook and send updated documents to our school community by email as new information is received.
The 21-22 Positive Case Report is updated daily on student attendance days by 4 p.m. To view the report, click here. To view the dashboard, click here. For a list of local COVID testing tests, click here.
Weekly Surveillance Testing
- Surveillance Testing Instructions
- The District is offering optional weekly surveillance testing to students or staff who are interested. The test is a nasal swab PCR test provided by Loop Medical. There is no cost to families, staff, or the District for this test.
- Student Signup: If you would like to sign up your student for weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing, you can do so by logging in to Skyward, selecting the Forms tab, and checking the permissions box. A new signup is required for this year, even if you signed up last year (just click to edit the form within Skyward to update it).
- Staff Signup: Click here for the Staff Signup Form.
Holidays: If there is a no-student attendance day on a Monday, collection will be on Tuesday.
For a video that shows how to complete the test, click here.
Tests must be dropped off in the bucket of your school’s main office by 8:45 a.m. on Monday (12:45 p.m. Monday for PM kindergarten and preschool students).
The District will only contact those whose results come back as "Positive." Those with a "negative" result will not be contacted.
Click below for our #d181healthy video reminders on proper handwashing and mask wearing:
2021-22 School Year Calendar
- First Day of School: Aug. 23, 2021
- Thanksgiving Break: Nov. 24 - 26, 2021
- Winter Break: Dec. 20, 2021 - Jan. 2, 2022
- Spring Break: March 28, 2022 - April 1, 2022
- Last Day of School: June 1, 2022 (if no emergency days are used)
Report an Absence
Use the links below to report your student absent for an Illness Related or other reason.Report an Absence
The school calendar is established prior to the start of the current school year. While we realize the value of family time, the planning of vacations while school is in session is strongly discouraged. If students will be absent from school due to vacation, parents must complete a special absence notification form and return it to school before the absence. Assignments and completion dates will be given after the absence as determined by the teacher. Teachers will not be required to re-teach material missed by students. If a planned absence will occur at the end of a grading period, students may be required to submit all work before leaving on the planned absence.
Each school holds a Curriculum Night early in the fall, where classroom teachers discuss curriculum and grade level expectations with parents. Parents are encouraged to attend this important event.
2021-22 School Supply Lists
Supply lists are posted on the School Supply Lists page.
Health Examination and Immunization Requirements
Click here to view an overview of all D181 Health/Immunization Registration Requirements. All requirement exams and forms are due on or before the first day of school.
District 181 Student Handbooks
The District 181 handbook (Elementary Handbook and Middle School Handbook) provides useful information about District 181’s policies, procedures, resources, and expectations for students. Please take some time to review the handbook with your child(ren) and reference it throughout the year.
District 181 values communication between families and staff. Each school sends a newsletter and regular updates to families. In addition, the District office publishes a monthly newsletter celebrating student/staff accomplishments and informing our community of key initiatives. For Board of Education communications, visit the BOE webpage.
Channels of Communication
Should concerns or questions arise, please address them with the first line of contact as shown below.
- Individual students and classrooms: Contact: Teacher > Principal > Superintendent > Board of Education
- Individual schools and neighborhoods: Contact: Principal > Superintendent > Board of Education
- Curriculum and District instructional practices: Contact: Principal > Assistant Superintendent of Learning > Superintendent > Board of Education
- Identification or support of students who may require special education and related services, additional accommodations and/or other supports, or interventions: Contact: Pupil Services Administrators assigned to your child’s school > Principal > Assistant Superintendent of Learning > Superintendent > Board of Education
- District budget, safety, environmental issues: Contact: Assistant Superintendent of Business Services and Treasurer > Superintendent > Board of Education
- District policy issues: Contact: Superintendent > Board of Education
Learn more about District 181 Student Registration here. Use the links below to access Skyward Family Access and SchoolPay.
We are pleased and excited to welcome you to the District 181 community. If you are new to the district and have not yet enrolled your child, please do so as soon as possible in order to help us plan for the school year.
One of the most important things that parents will need to bring when enrolling their child for the first time is a certified copy or an original birth certificate for their child or children, and all required documents to prove residency. You can view a list of all the documents required to verify residency at the above links.
Bus routes are always changing as new students register and require a bus stop. Bus routes are shared with families prior to the start of the school year.
Visit your schools Parent Resources page to access information such as student activities, field trips, report card distribution, sport schedules/info and more.
Teacher Assignments and Student Schedules
Teacher assignments and student schedules will be emailed to parents from your school.
Parent Teacher Organizations (PTO)
District 181 is fortunate to have strong partnerships with parents. Each of the District’s nine schools have Parent Teacher Organizations (PTOs). They are dynamic supportive parent organizations that share the goals of enhancing the educational experience for all students and fostering communication between home and school. All parents will receive information about joining the PTO for the coming school year.