Construction, Bids, and Timeline
Trade Contracts for the HMS project were divided into four Bid Groups to allow for fast‐track bidding and a construction start before all design work was complete.
Bid Group 1 Award Recap
- Bid Group 1 included twelve Bid Packages.
- On April 10, 2017, three Contracts from Bid Group 1 were awarded.
- On June 6, 2017, six Contracts from Bid Group 1 were awarded.
- On June 12, 2017 three Contracts from Bid Group 1 awarded.
- On June 26, 2017, Alternate Bid 4a was awarded for three previously awarded contracts (1D - Structural Steel, 1E - Precast Concrete Panels, and 1F - Elevator.
- On August 14, the Board approved "Bid Group #1 ASI-001/004 Change Order" contingent on the Village of Hinsdale approving to pay in full the costs associated with the change order (Vote 5-0; Absent: Lucht, Giltner). It was clarified that $253,000 for trade costs associated with ASI-001 and ASI-004 are needed for revisions to accommodate the larger parking deck desired by the Village of Hinsdale, including concrete foundation, earth retention, and excavation. Bill Truty and Peter Kuhn of Bulley & Andrews said they would wait until the Village's approval of the change order (slated for August 15) before moving forward.
Bid Group 2 Update
On June 6, 2017, Bid Group 2 Bids were received for 16 Bid Packages. Bulley & Andrews reviewed the Bids received, and Board action was taken at the June 26, 2017 Board meeting to award contracts for 15 of the 16 Bid Packages (shown below). Schedule Alternate 4a was accepted for all Bid Group 2 Bidders.
- Bid 2A‐Masonry - Iwanski Masonry, Inc. (Lombard, IL): $3,175,000.00
- Bid 2D Roofing - Knickerbocker Roofing & Paving Co., Inc. (Harvey, IL): $1,100,000.00
- Bid 2F Doors and Hardware - Chicago Doorways (Elmhurst, IL): $379,007.00
- Bid 2H Acoustical Ceiling - Favia Builders Inc. / Alpine Acoustics (Schaumburg, IL): $310,400.00
- Bid 2K Fire Protection - K & S Automatic Sprinklers, Inc. (Bellwood, IL): $397,000.00
- Bid 2L Electrical - Fitzgerald Electrical Contracting, Inc. (Big Rock, IL): $5,791,000.00
- Bid 2O Specialty Doors - House of Doors (Brookfield, IL): $199,580.00
- Bid 2P Operable Partitions - Modernfold Chicago, Inc. (Carol Stream, IL): $51,450.00
- Bid 2Q Food Service - Stafford‐Smith, Inc. (Kalamazoo, MI): $396,411.00
- Bid 2B Miscellaneous Metals - S.G. Krause Company Co. (Elk Grove Village, IL): $424,250.00
- Bid 2C Rough Carpentry - Manusos General Contracting, Inc. (Fox Lake, IL): $1,556,495.00
- Bid 2E Glass & Glazing - Architectural Glass Works (Tinley Park, IL): $2,606,770.00
- Bid 2J Plumbing - Jensen's Plumbing & Heating Inc. (Woodstock, IL): $1,630,000.00
- Bid 2G Drywall and Framing - Doherty Construction, Inc. (Woodstock, IL): $2,696,318.00
- Bid 2I Mechanical - Mechanical Incorporated (Freeport, IL): $3,604,500.00
Also at the June 26, 2017 meeting, the Board Rejected Bids for Bid 2R - Metal Panels, as it was noted that Bid 2R (equipment screens on the roof and exterior metal panels) only received two Bids, and one Bidder failed to include the required scope of work and the second bid was above the projected budget. It was stated that the design and construction team would be reconsidering the Bid specifications.
On August 14, 2017, the Board approved and awarded the assignment to Bulley & Andrews of alternates to the previously awarded Contract for Bid 2K Fire Protection to K & S Automatic Sprinklers, Inc. (Vote 5-0; Absent: Lucht, Giltner). It was clarified that the action was needed to correct a minor technical error.
On October 30, 2017, the Board took the following actions:
- Award and assignment of a Contract for Bid 2R Metal Panels for the Hinsdale Middle School project to Wiesbrook Sheet Metal Inc. of Plainfield, IL in the amount of $586,184.00 for the Base Bid and all previously accepted Alternates. This award and assignment includes completion of the work in accordance with Schedule 4b.
- Award and assignment of a Contract for Bid 2M Skylights for the Hinsdale Middle School project to United Skys of Round Lake, IL in the amount of $115,358.00 for the Base Bid and all previously accepted Alternates. This award and assignment includes completion of the work in accordance with Schedule 4b.
Bid Group 3 Update
During the Board Business meeting on December 18, 2017, Owner's Representative Kerry Leonard reported that after Bid Group 3, 93% of the trade contracts will have been bid, awarded, and assigned to Bulley & Andrews.
Bid Group 3 includes fifteen bid packages:
- Twelve bid packages were opened - nine on November 30, 2017 and three on December 8, 2017.
- One bid package (3N Window Treatments) was not opened as only one bidder submitted.
- Two bid packages were deferred until the beginning of 2018 and were approved by the Board to be rejected (3C Ceramic Tile and 3H Toilet Partitions/Visual Display Boards/Toilet Accessories).
Of the twelve bid packages opened, ten were considered for award and assignment, and approved during the Business meeting:
- 3A Millwork: Bradford Systems Corporation ($1,029,698.00)
- 3F Flooring: Vortex Commercial Flooring ($570,000.00)
- 3D Wood (Athletic) Flooring: Haldemann‐Homme, Inc. ($224,000.00)
- 3E Fluid Applied Flooring: Artlow Systems, Inc. ($159,339.05)
- 3G Painting: Five Star Decorating, Inc. ($400,028.00)
- 3I Lockers: Interiors for Business, Inc. ($255,200.00)
- 3K Laboratory Equipment: Carroll Seating ($371,239.00)
- 3M Gymnasium Equipment & Bleachers: Haldemann‐Homme, Inc. ($297,500.00) - Bleacher Alternate Deduct of $4,000 Not Accepted ($0.00)
- 3L LULA: DME Access, LLC ($79,500.00)
- 3B Spray Insulation: Wilkin Insulation Co. ($78,500.00)
The Board also approved the following actions regarding change orders:
- All bids received on October 19, 2017 for Bid 2N Joint Sealants be rejected
- Approval of Change Order 15 for Joint Sealant Work to Bulley & Andrews, LLC’s Contract
- Approval of Change Order 16 for the Transfer of General Conditions to Bulley & Andrews, LLC’s Contract
- Ratification of four change orders approved by the Owner’s Representative and Superintendent to Bulley & Andrews, LLC’s Contract (Change Order 12 ‐ Fence Relocation; Change Order 13 ‐ Modular Classroom Fire Alarm; Change Order 14 ‐ Food Service Equipment; Change Order 15 ‐ SDI Insurance Deduct
- Ratification of one expenditure from the Construction Manager’s GMP Contingency approved by the Owner’s Representative and Superintendent to Bulley & Andrews, LLC’s Contract (Modular Classroom Electrical)
Three Alternate Bids were included in Bid Group 3: Alternate 6 ‐ Acoustical Curtains; Alternate 7 ‐ First Floor Tile Flooring; and Alternate 8 ‐ Bleacher Seating.
Mr. Leonard explained at the December 18, 2017 Business meeting that the five bid packages not being awarded will be bid in early 2018. The five packages include two deferred packages, two bids to be rejected, and one bid package that was not opened.
Bid Group 4 Update
- Bid Group 4 includes existing building demolition, site restoration and parking related costs.
Information on Alternate Bids has been included in the project team's Bid Group reports and presented to the Board, as applicable.
Information on Change Orders has been included in the project team's Bid Group reports and presented to the Board, as applicable.
Floor Maps, Timeline, Site Plan
- Floor Maps (8/14/17)
- Timeline - Detailed (12/1/17)
- Timeline - Milestones (6/23/17)
- Site Plan: Summer 2017 - Completion
Bid Group 3
Bid Group 2
- Bid Group 2 Award Memo (6/20/17)
- Bid Group 2 Results Summary and Detail (6/20/17)
- Bid Group 2 Public Notice (5/1/17)
Bid Group 1
- Bid Group 1 Summary (4/3/17)
- Bid Group 1 Tabulation Results Memo (4/3/17)
- Bid Group 1 Tabulations (3/13/17)
- Bid Group 1 Recommendation to Award (3/13/17)
- Bid Group 1 Public Notice (2/13/17)
Other Construction Files
- Bulley & Andrews Executive Summary (12/1/17)
- Bulley & Andrews Executive Summary (11/8/17)
- Bulley & Andrews Executive Summary (10/6/17)
- Bulley & Andrews Executive Summary (9/7/17)
- HMS Traffic Impact Study (1/16/17)