Digital learning impacts many areas, including: curriculum, assessment, and instruction development; professional development planning; D181 Foundation and Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) plans, activities, and expenditures; present and long-range financial planning; and current and long-range Technology Department staffing and operational planning. We are excited that during this 2017-18 school year, we have begun implementing a comprehensive Digital Learning Environment Plan, approved by the Board of Education in February 2017 and in alignment with Digital Learning Belief Statements approved in March 2016.
What is achieved with approval of the Digital Learning Environment Plan?
- We have a strategic and comprehensive vision for digital learning that can be clearly stated to parents and the community.
- All students in grades 3-8 will have access to a personally deployed device at the same time starting in the 2017-18 school year. No group of students will wait for a phased-in deployment plan.
- All devices will be on a District-maintained replacement cycle.
- We have a multi-year plan for device purchasing to aid in budget decisions, curriculum renewal, and resource adoptions.
- We can better plan for and more consistently provide staff professional development.
- The D181 Foundation and the PTOs will no longer be asked to purchase instructional devices.
What is the plan for the deployment of devices by school and grade level?
- Students in Grades K-2 have a shared device environment. The device in Grades K-2 is an iPad.
- Students in Grades 3-5 are in a 1:1 environment, which means each student has a specific device assigned to them. During the course of the school year, students will be permitted to take their device home to complete homework and to continue their learning and engagement. The device in Grades 3-5 is an iPad with a wired keyboard. In 2017-18, the device will be new or less than two years old. In subsequent years, the device will be purchased new at 3rd grade and move with the student for the next two school years. After a student completes 5th grade, the device will either be moved to the K-2 shared environment or sold at the conclusion of the District's lease. Students will get a new device as they enter 6th grade.
- Students in Grades 6-7 are in a 1:1 environment, which means each student has a specific device assigned to them. During the course of the school year, students will be permitted to take their device home to complete homework and to continue their learning and engagement. The device in Grades 6-7 is a Chromebook. In the first year of implementation, the device will be new or less than two years old. In subsequent years, the device will be purchased new at 6th grade and move with the student for the next two school years.
- Students in Grade 8 are in a 1:1 environment. For just the 2017-18 school year, 8th graders are using three year-old MacBook Air laptops. Beginning with the 2018-19 school year, all middle school students will use Chromebooks.
Resources related to digital learning, including the approved plan and Belief Statements, are available at right.
- Diamond Assets Equipment Value Assets
- Diamond Assets Trade-In Program
- Device Inventory and Remarketing Tables
- Digital Learning Environment Proposal (11/14/16)
- Superintendent's Presentation (6/13/16)
- Superintendent's Board Report (6/13/16)
- Committee Meeting Notes (4/14/16)
- Committee Meeting Notes (2/18/16)
- Engagement Event Notes (Feb 2016)
- Committee Meeting Notes (1/14/16)
- Committee Meeting Notes (12/10/15)
- Committee Meeting Notes (11/17/15)
- Committee Meeting Notes (11/12/15)
- Committee Meeting Notes (10/15/15)
- Carousel Planning Notes (April 2015)