Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™
Fountas & Pinnell™ is a reading benchmark assessment which is used to identify instructional reading levels.
What is a benchmark assessment?
A benchmark assessment system is a series of texts that can be used to identify a student's current reading level and progress along a gradient of text levels over time. The word "benchmark" means a standard against which to measure something.Why is benchmark assessment a valuable use of time?
- Determine students' independent and instructional reading levels.
- Determine reading placement levels and group students for reading instruction.
- Select texts that will be productive for student's instruction.
- Assess the outcomes of teaching.
- Assess a new student's reading level for independent reading and instruction.
- Identify students who need intervention.
- Document student progress across a school year and across grade levels.
Additional information about the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark assessment can be found here