Social Emotional Learning for Academic Success
Skills for Learning, Skills for Life
To provide the school community with the foundation for lifelong social and emotional learning in a safe and caring environment.
To be a school district where children learn to:
- Be self-aware and able to manage their emotions and behaviors
- Have understanding and empathy for others and develop positive relationships
- Make responsible decisions
To be a school district where adults and children:
- Have positive relationships that foster the greatest learning and rewarding experiences for all, during both formal instruction of SEL and informal teachable moments.
- Support the leadership for SEL at each school.
- Provide on-going training of staff
- Communicate about SEL with staff and families
- Educate parents about the value of SEL
- Evaluate the district's progress in teaching SEL, according to the IL SEL Standards
Specific projects for SY 2012-2013:
Projects related to the Goals above:
and implement a community communication plan that will inform parents and
teachers of upcoming events, activities, and information regarding Social and
Emotional Learning for parents, teachers, and the community
SEL lessons in the Clarendon Hills Schools at 5th grade to include lessons
similar to those included in DARE that address prevention of drug and alcohol
abuse and violence
staff who have not been trained in the Lions-Quest curriculum
report on SELAS to the Board of Education