Social Emotional Learning for Academic Success
Skills for Learning, Skills for Life
To provide the school community with the foundation for lifelong social and emotional learning in a safe and caring environment.
To be a school district where children learn to:
- Be self-aware and able to manage their emotions and behaviors
- Have understanding and empathy for others and develop positive relationships
- Make responsible decisions
To be a school district where adults and children:
- Have positive relationships that foster the greatest learning and rewarding experiences for all, during both formal instruction of SEL and informal teachable moments.
- Support the leadership for SEL at each school.
- Provide on-going training of staff
- Communicate about SEL with staff and families
- Educate parents about the value of SEL
- Evaluate the district's progress in teaching SEL, according to the IL SEL Standards
Specific projects for SY 2013-2014:
- Continue aligning SELAS lessons to IL
state standards for SEL
- Explore the lunchtime and recess
experience at all schools and consider ways to improve it
- Provide consistent and relevant
information about SEL in the D181 schools to the entire school community